TpT Store

Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Saturday, February 14, 2009

cooking up a storm

I've been cooking a lot the last few weeks, and I have really been enjoying it. I have been trying to be more intentional about actually cooking rather than eating out or buying things like bread for sandwiches. I can't wait till I'll actually have access to so many recipes that sound AMAZING that I can't try here because of the inability to find the items, or the expense of them (although, I think I'll also miss the challenge of finding substitutes and changing the recipes to fit what I can find). Just to give you an idea... tonight I made (for my 2 upstairs roommates and our friend Stacey who is in town for a few weeks for his job)... fried eggplant, roasted red pepper, and mozzarella sandwiches on toasted garlic french bread . It turned out so well, and I was so excited!!! It was very filling, had tons of flavor, and the best thing, it was pretty cheap (only about $20 for all 4 of us!) :)

I've been using these steamer bags that Ziploc makes when I can find fresh broccoli and I LOVEEE them!! They are so super duper easy to use (all you do is wash the veggies, toss them in the bag with seasonings and stick it in the microwave!) and the finished product tastes amazing with rice or noodles... great find (although I only have a few left... anyone want to send me a pack?!) :)

I also brought some bacon bits with me (the kind that are real bacon, not imitation), and made 2 baked potatoes about 2 weeks ago, one for dinner and one for lunch the next day, and I put some bacon bits, cheese, and butter on them... yum! With the leftover potatoes I made what my mom calls parsley potatoes, but to make it a little more exciting, I added a little ranch dressing and some laughing cow cheese (similar to cream cheese, but a more cheesy flavor)... all so yummy!!

Also, last Saturday Amy, Amanda and I decided that instead of going out to eat on Saturday night we would splurge on some real (and really expensive) cheese and look up a few recipes and create our own restaurant quality meal :) - we ended up making what we call turkey pie (a recipe from one of the Lebanese mom's at our school, who happens to be an incredible cook herself) and beer cheese soup (which was really more like soupy fondue, and we dipped bread in it).

I have really enjoyed cooking lately, and just thought I'd tell you about some of the fun things I've made lately :) I hope everyone is having a fantastic Valentine's Day, I sure did!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beer cheese soup made me laugh. Because, that's a funny combination. Although, if you're drinking beer and eating cheese that's potentially not weird... Was it beer and cheese? Or some kind of cheese made with beer? Or some kind of beer made with cheese? Was it sticky? Did it have clumps of cheese in it? Were you tipsy afterwards? (Because you get tipsy a lot easier than you would care to admit - but wait, I think that's only when you're drinking on an empty stomach - which you wouldn't have been doing because you would have been eating... the beer cheese soup...)

I LOVE YOU

Ashley said...

THAT is a confusing comment hahaha - the soup has beer and cheese cooked into it... so its smooth and just has the flavor of the beer since the alcohol cooks out, love :) it's more like fondue than soup really, and it's yummy!

Anonymous said...

Umm... I was being silly... lol
Obviously. Or so I thought.