TpT Store

Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I love...

as promised... a list of all of the things that I LOVE about Ghana

~MELINDA POITRAS
~the smiling face of a child yelling "Obruni, obruni!!!" (and sometimes "give me money"...)
~trotros (tin can vans that you pack 18 people into and can ride for an hour for less than a dollar)
~fresh, all natural produce available at every street corner
~the genuine friendliness of the general Ghanaian population (of course this isn't true of everyone)
~"You are welcome!!"
~no matter how little people have, they are always willing to share it
~"its nice to be nice"
~our guards being told that we must live here, because we weren't easy to rip off :)
~having 2 wonderful gate guards who bend over backward to make sure we are well taken care of
~not being phased by a rooster/goat/lizard running under my feet while walking
~the way you can tell its going to rain because of a thousand things (the clouds, the wind, the trees & leaves, the way people suddenly disappear and run inside)
~the way it starts downpouring out of nowhere and having water up to your ankles after its only been raining for 1 minute
~the pride that the people have in their country
~watching futbol matches
~the fact that I get to attend African Cup games in January!!!!!!!!
~the way it smells when it rains
~the beautiful red dirt
~the FOOD!!!!!! (it is so yummy!)
~plantains!! (fried, grilled, chips, etc... etc... - I love plantains!!)
~the hussle and bussle of the markets, and the peacefulness of the jungle
~the way my Ghanaian friends say words like rediculous, thigh, and anything with an r (which is usually pronounced as l... so frog sounds like flog... ex: "I'm aflaid of flogs")
~Twi and the crazy sounds that you have to make & distinguish when speaking/hearing it (most of which I can't hear or make)
~Beacon House, and knowing that there are 20 or so kids who look forward to seeing Amanda and I at least once a week and who sometimes tear up when we leave
~knowing that those kids are being well taken care of while they wait for their adoptions to go through
~feeling high profile when attending events at embassies and ambassadors residences
~the fact that some things are rediculously cheap (others, however, are rediculously expensive... and this I do not love)
~being called the "big one", and the fact that its a GOOD thing :)
~walking... everywhere... which = loosing weight
~the smell of anice (black licorice) permeating the air while on an 11km bike hike through the jungle
~getting clothes tailor made to fit me
~exchanging phone numbers with an old couple on a trotro, just because they like my name and want to make sure I'm doing ok
~appreicating the small things... like getting a tube of toothpaste or a recces cup :)
~9 kindergarteners who love me & I love right back
~roomates who are here to serve Christ and have good hearts
~the fact that God is teaching me that He is all I need...

I think I might have managed to make this list even longer than the last :) so see, I really do love it here, and know that it is exactly where I'm supposed to be, and I wouldn't have it any other way!! I am soo very excited to see everyone at Christmas... there is a physical twinge of longing that I don't think I can accurately convey with words deep in my gut that I know will only subside when I am back home.


** Photo Blog to come in the next few days documenting that 11km bike hike through the jungle I spoke of up there :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to this list of "all" the things you love, you're really going to "love" doing "all" of your own photocopying from now on. And I don't KNOW what's going to happen during naptime when you have to go to the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Right! You're off the hook because you managaed to include Melinda in the list after you were reminded. Right... :P Love you!